Tuesday, September 03, 2013

P62013: Kickoff Weekend

Games watched: N. Carolina-S. Carolina (a little), Ole Miss-Vandy, Miami-FIU, Michigan State-Western Mitten, Kansas State-N. Dakota St., ND-Temple, Iowa-Northern, E. Wash-Ore. St (the end), Georgia-Clemson, LSU-TCU (2nd TV), Northwestern-Cal (until sleepy).

I had kind of a weird Thursday. Normally I like to rush home from work and plop down on the couch to watch that first, glorious game of the season. But this Thursday I had to work late on a project, then attempted to get from the northern suburbs to downtown to attend a party for alumni of a former employer. Traffic sucked, I made it halfway and got a text from a friend saying don't bother coming down here. In my hassled disgust to get home, I took a wrong turn then realized I'd never get home in time to eat.

I was hungry, I was grumpy, I pulled into the first food place I could find, a gyro stand. I ordered and impatiently waited for my food, and paced around the corner into the seating area.

And there .... and there. Was the South Carolina-North Carolina game. Live college football. And then I was okay.

It was also a weird Saturday because Iowa and Notre Dame played at 2:30 pm. In the 11am time slot, we just meandered through a bunch of meaningless games (Villanova-BC, Purdue-Cincy), not really watching any of them. Then I had to juggle attention on both games, then watch Iowa lose as painfully as any of the awful losses of the last three years.

But Georgia-Clemson was pretty cool. Congrats to the nine of you with the guts to pick the Tigers.

It was also weird because of all the I-AA wins over I-A teams. In fact there were eight of them:
  • Towson beat UConn
  • Southern Utah over South Alabama (although So. Ala is a recent Div. I-A joiner)
  • Samford beat Georgia State (although Geo. St. is a recent Div. I-A joiner)
  • Eastern Washington over Oregon State (Beavers were ranked No. 25)
  • McNeese State beat South Florida (like UConn, a member of the former Big East)
  • Northern Iowa beat Iowa State, the most relieving schaudenfraudistic game of the day
  • Eastern Illinois thumped San Diego State, 40-19!
  • North Dakota State beat Kansas State in a game we watched. The Bison used an awesome drive at the end of the game to win it.
If you're a fan of the underdog, you can read more here. If you have no fear of the underdog, here's Spoon.

Right ... how'd my Pick Six do? Yes, back to you. Well, good on you if you had the aforementioned Clemson or Washington. The Huskies beat Boise State 38-6 in the debut of their new home stadium. I don't know if I'd call it an upset. Washington is a good-to-decent team, and this might be the year Boise falls back into mediocrity.

Sucks to be ... Boise, Georgia and TCU. Ranked teams losing on the road is not rewarded, even if you lost to a solid team like Clemson or LSU. Oregon State or K-State: losing at home to lower division teams is bad. Nebraska: edging out Wyoming by 3 points is not cool.

Best of the week: Early congrats to a trio of +7 players: "No F'n Clue," who apparently does have a clue, "Dirty Diapers," and "Bo's Boys," who wisely avoided picking Bo's boys (Nebraska, coached by Bo Pelini).

Enough jibber jabber, who's winning?


I almost ran the Beavis and Butt-Head picture to symbolize Week 1 leader "No F'n Clue" but then realized that those guys actually do have a clue sometimes. Besides, who doesn't love a confused panda. "No F'n Clue" broke the preseason tie with "Nope. I'm a Frayed Knot" (love that name) and is only six points off the perfect set. 

Oh okay I can't tease you guys like that, here's Beavis and Butt-Head. 


Bookmark this link, it won't change all season: P62013 Scoreboard.

Two more links for you: Points for each team (also found on the second tab of the scoreboard) and the AP Top 25 Poll.

Game of the upcoming week: Notre Dame (24 picks) vs. Michigan (17 picks). Good luck to the nine of you who picked the Irish AND the Skunkbears. You better be rooting for the right one on Saturday.

1 comment:

Scott Mortimer said...

"schaudenfraudistic"

Do you realize this word only appears three other times on the entire INTERWEBS???