Thursday, March 12, 2009

Party With Paddy

I can't believe it's here already, but Saturday is St. Patrick's Day (Chicago Observed), which means the annual downtown parade. I moved to Chicago in 1999, which means my first parade was probably 2000. Which means this year is the tenth anniversary. Which means we're partying hard, people. Hopefully no cats will get sick this year, so I'll be live and in person for this year's parade.

Quigley feeling his Irish.

Here's the deal. If you are a FOB (friend o' the blog) you know where we live. If you want to caravan downtown with us, be here before 10:30. If you want to start your day with a "MPF Special,"* come over a little earlier, about 10am. The parade starts at noon. We're leaving at 10:30 to get a decent spot on the parade route. Afterwards we're going to our traditional post-parade lunch spot, so have a good breakfast and/or a MPF Special*. After lunch we head back up north for unspecified activities and frivolity. No one knows what will occur. Maybe you'll steal a cop's hat. But I can tell you this, to paraphrase a recently viewed dumb movie: There Will Be Beer. Oh, and keep your eye out for any molesting Irish rabbits.

What, you think I was speaking figuratively?

More info on the city's website here. My favorite part of this site was that it recommended the parade for "multicultural Chicago enthusiasts." I guess that's one way to describe me.

Finally: Longtime readers know my distrust of monarchy. However there is one day in the year I will acknowledge a royal authority, and so bow down to honor your 2009 St. Patrick's Day Queen.


* --my co-author loves it.**
**--that's not dirty. Other guests can have one too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still have my giant green miller lite hat. I wonder how people on Metra will react to me wearing it. If you get downtown early enough you are welcome to it again.